About My First Book Horizons and How to Order

Introducing My First Poetry Book, "Horizons"

  My first poetry book, Horizons (Atmosphere Press)  AVAILABLE NOW!! Embark on a captivating journey through the vibrant world of living so...

Wednesday, September 6, 2023

Dear Friend Letter Four: The Q Word

 

September 6, 2023

The “Q” Word



Dear Friend,

If my being crazy didn’t scare you away, this is the other letter where I imagine you seeing this one itty bitty five-letter word…and never talking to me again.

If you have read any of my previous blogs, if you have picked up my book (at the date of this posting, it isn’t published yet, but will be soon) and read the first few words of my author biography, if you have seen the sign in my front lawn or the flag on the front door of my house…you might see this word…and if you are a typical old-fashioned American, you may assume certain meanings to this word.

The other word that comes before “poet” in my bio, other than “disabled” is…”QUEER”. Yes. Please, before you assume things about the word, about me, read this letter first.

Many cis-gender, heterosexual individuals (if you don’t know what either of those terms mean, you probably belong to both of the groups) assume “queer” means gay. But that would be wrong. I call people who associate themselves with LGBTQIA+ or Pride the Alphabet People. (Look at how our acronym has grown over the years). There are so many definitions of different kinds of gender AND sexuality (and if you don’t know the difference between these, hang on a minute) that often, in order to cover all our bases, or if we don’t fit in a specific category, or if we fit into several, we will just call ourselves queer.  It is kind of a “miscellaneous” kind of word, an “anything other than cis/hetero” term. So “queer” can mean something different for each person that claims it.

Here is what it means for me.

Growing up, I felt that I never quite fit in anywhere.  I was an oddball (and still am). I was born with a female body, so was expected to like and play with and act like a girl “normally” would. But instead of pink, I liked orange.  I played with Barbies, but I also liked to be outside, looking at the plants and insects and creepy-crawlies. When other girls had posters of muscled men and boy bands on their walls, it never occurred to me to want those kind of idols (though my friends from school can tell you I had my fair share of crushes). I got an Agronomy degree (two, actually, but who is counting?), and was the only female in the Agronomy Club AND the soil fertility project on campus where I worked.

What does this all mean? This describes gender roles—the expectation that our culture has on those with certain biological sexes to act a certain way.  Since I have a female body, I am supposed to act as my culture defines how a “girl” is supposed to behave, what a “girl” is supposed to wear, to work, to study, to like, to do. But I don’t conform to those ideals. Technically, my term is Gender Non-Conforming. But I don’t like the idea that there is something we are supposed to conform to in the first place. So I use the word “queer” instead. My gender isn’t a typical female; I’m queer, thanks.

What about sexuality? That’s complicated.  That’s queer, too. Basically, my manic depression changes my desires (Rita wants EVERYONE, my depression wants no one).  When I am stable, the best term to describe me is demisexual. What the heck is that? A form of asexuality, it means I am attracted to people I have an emotional connection with more than I am to any certain physical attributes. As far as gender/biological sex goes, I very much appreciate the female body, enough to be attracted to it visually. The male body is more of a physical touch attraction rather than a visual attraction. So, yes, rather than try to describe this to someone (nope, not heterosexual, and nope, NOT gay, and nope, don’t have time to tell a long-drawn-out story every time…) I just say “queer”. We’re good, right?

So, you cis/hetero folk who have made it this far.  Friend, if you are still here and reading. Most of us alphabet people aren’t as scary strange as you may think we are.  We are just ordinary (some of us extraordinary, some of us a little quirky, some of us still oddballs)….what I mean to say is we are just people, just like you. So I may be queer, but it’s just a step off the path you’re used to.  Not a jump into some bizarre lake full of razor-tooth snakes or anything.

And if I got the chance to choose another song to live in? For this, I would proudly choose The Greatest Showman’s “This is Me”. I hear my daughter boldly stand and sing her solo in a clear voice, this song making me cry near the end of her senior year of high school, as I am just discovering who I really am, already four decades old, and just figuring out it is not a failure to be girly enough, but a proud queer individual who can stand, no mask in hand, and say, “This. Is. Me”.

Are you okay with that, too? Are you proudly standing up, accepting who you are? Do you love the whole of what you see in the mirror? Don’t let the cookie cutter of culture tell you who to be.

Be you.

Thinking of you and loving you just as you are.

Love,

Julie

No comments:

Post a Comment