About My First Book Horizons and How to Order

Introducing My First Poetry Book, "Horizons"

  My first poetry book, Horizons (Atmosphere Press)  AVAILABLE NOW!! Embark on a captivating journey through the vibrant world of living so...

Tuesday, January 8, 2019

The Meaning of Consumer


Consumer, to consume:

According to dictionary.com, consumer means the following:



  • ·        to destroy
  • ·        to use up
  • ·        to devour
  • ·        to spend
  • ·        squanderer
  • ·        to absorb
  • ·        to waste away
  • ·        a person that consumes
  • ·        a person that uses a service
  • ·        an organism that feeds on other organisms




 In NAMI, they call us consumers.
Is that what we do?
Do we use up and squander others around us?
Do we feed on other organisms?
Do we spend and destroy?
If I were able, perhaps I could consume my mental illness.
Perhaps I would cause it to waste away,
            to dissolve, to destroy it.
But would that, in turn, change me?
Would I be consuming, in fact,
            an essential part of me?
A part of me that makes me who I am?
What, indeed, are we to consume,
            we consumers?
Can we consume light, hope, energy—
and remit it as well?
Can our consumer waste be helpful,
            be something beautiful?

Julie SE Paschold
12-10-18

No comments:

Post a Comment